Warning: array_merge(): Argument #1 is not an array in /home/ifjdvgue/htdocs/blog/wp-content/plugins/polylang/modules/plugins/plugins-compat.php on line 175

Warning: array_merge(): Argument #1 is not an array in /home/ifjdvgue/htdocs/blog/wp-content/plugins/polylang/modules/plugins/plugins-compat.php on line 175

Warning: array_merge(): Argument #1 is not an array in /home/ifjdvgue/htdocs/blog/wp-content/plugins/polylang/modules/plugins/plugins-compat.php on line 175
Steyr 1500 A/01 (EN) - MILITARY-MODELS.NET

Steyr 1500 A/01 (EN)

Years ago I assembled this nice Tamiya kit since I wanted to realize a diorama set on the Eastern front.

Then, as it often happens, my Steyr 1500 A/01 gathered dust in the shelf, until I decided to test on it some new weathering techniques.

To update this kit I used the dedicated set by Royal Model and scratchbuilt some little parts, such as the inner handles of the doors, the cables for the engines of the windshield wipers and the width indicators.

So nothing really tricky, and a very straightforward assembly.

The model carries the insignia of the 6 Panzer Division (two white crosses).

Here are some pics:

 

Two doors are assembled in open position, both to enliven the model and to have more chance of utilization once placed in the diorama.

Two doors are assembled in open position, both to enliven the model and to have more chance of utilization once placed in the diorama.

 

Royal Model provides both PE (for example the jerrycan holder) and resin parts (the jerrycan, tha black-out lights, etc.).

Royal Model provides both PE (for example the jerrycan holder) and resin parts (the jerrycan, tha black-out lights, etc.).

 

The folded canvas is a Tamiya part. Royal Model provides the same piece, made of resin, yet it stays in my stash, at the moment. I used the PE belts joining the canvas to the hull. I know, it's difficult to see them in the photo, yet trust me, they actually are.

The folded canvas is a Tamiya part. Royal Model provides the same piece, made of resin, yet it stays in my stash, at the moment. I used the PE belts joining the canvas to the hull. I know, it’s difficult to see them in the photo, yet trust me, they actually are.

 

In my opinion Panzergrey vehicles are ideal to be weathered.

In my opinion Panzergrey vehicles are ideal to be weathered.

 

Tamiya did a good job on the bottom of the hull, too. Since it is quite some time ago that I assembled this kit, I can't remember whether the jack and its bracket are either Tamiya or Royal Model parts..

Tamiya did a good job on the bottom of the hull, too. Since it is quite some time ago that I assembled this kit, I can’t remember whether the jack and its bracket are either Tamiya or Royal Model parts…

 

The grate protecting the radiator has been thinned to get a more realistic look. There is a PE grate in the Royal Model set, as well as a PE mesh to reproduce the radiator grid.

The grate protecting the radiator has been thinned to get a more realistic look. There is a PE grate in the Royal Model set, as well as a PE mesh to reproduce the radiator grid.

 

I didn't spend a lot of time in detailing this kit, and to be honest I do not exclude that there may be some inaccuracy... No "rivet counting", this time... The bracket of the rearview mirror is angled in the real car. I'll correct this mistake as soon as possible.

I didn’t spend a lot of time in detailing this kit, and to be honest I do not exclude that there may be some inaccuracy… No “rivet counting”, this time… The bracket of the rearview mirror is angled in the real car. I’ll correct this mistake as soon as possible.

 

I painted khaki the canvas cover of the black-out lights. However, I don't know the way they actually looked. The width indicators are reproduced by means of entomologist pins. Very useful indeed. Unfortunately my supply is exhausted.

I painted khaki the canvas cover of the black-out lights. However, I don’t know the way they actually looked. The width indicators are reproduced by means of entomologist pins. Very useful indeed. Unfortunately my supply is exhausted.

 

The interior is pretty..spartan. On the other hand, you have the chance to add lots of stuff ...

The interior is pretty..spartan. On the other hand, you have the chance to add lots of stuff …

 

…let’s start with a helmet.

 

I damaged the little PE chain of the lock of the towing hook while weathering the model. I'll replace the broken chain with a scratchbuilt one.

I damaged the little PE chain of the lock of the towing hook while weathering the model. I’ll replace the broken chain with a scratchbuilt one.

 

I used the airbrush and Tamiya acrylic colors for the base coat and the primary lights and shadows. Acrylic colors were used for filters and washes, too.

Oil colors were used to reproduce “chipping” and rust, and to paint the seats and the canvas.

Coming back to the model, in these days, I enhanced the weathering of the paint with a sponge (acrylic and enamel colors) and reproduced dust and mud with pigments (thinned with transparent matt acrylic varnish).

This is it. Hope you like my Steyr A/01,

See you with my next post, I hope :-).

Powered By DT Author Box

Written by Luca Cingolani

Luca Cingolani

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *